Monday, October 27, 2014

Using A groundsheet/Footprint As a Rain/Sun tarp





 Climbing "nuts"
 Snow stake. I find these hold better than pegs


Site:  Blue Lake,  Kosciuszko National Park, NSW Australia.

I got this "footprint"  cheap . It's designed to go under a tent floor to protect it from sharp objects. I use it as my groundsheet in my Black Diamond Pyramid tent.  Which is floorless.  I got a seamstress to sew velcro on the edges, which when fastened together gives it a bit of a cube shape, hence keeping out water, and ants (!) better than a flat sheet.

I also take this sheet on day hikes, As an emergency shelter/ sun/ shower shelter. You could also wrap it around yourself in a gale or if injured.  Very light.

Just bring a few pegs/stakes . And maybe a few climbing nuts as shown above.
Above, the sheet is set up as a "lean-to" . Using a trekking pole makes it higher and reduces flapping a lot.
Just get a simple mat and you can lie or sit under and have lunch.

I put 3 m light cord (hutchy cord) on the 4 corners. And tied off  to the stoppers.
Next is to sew on triangular flaps on the corners so as to quickly stow away the 4 cords .



No comments:

Post a Comment

Cold Weather / Snow Conditions Hiking list

This is list is especially applicable to : New Zealand, Tasmania.... at any time of year. NZ has been rated "the hardest western cou...